Yesterday, I was "let go" my by company. Partly due to the economy and partly due to it being a poor fit, and entirely mutual. I had about 10 days to prepare for the end, I was notified that the company in general, and my department in specific, was not making our financial goal. I could see that it was inevitable but it is never easy to face. Being it was the end of the Q3, I knew heads would roll on the 30th or the 1st of the month, Monday was the 29th - that day was tough, the anticipation was killing me. By Tuesday, I grew tired of waiting for the shoe to drop and by Wednesday I welcomed the release.
I worked really hard for the last 10 days hoping that something would turn around, I made some significant improvements, however, I think my efforts were futile. Yesterday, it became apparent that the decision was made 10 days earlier when I was first told of my possible release.
This is a daily account of what Unemployment is like...hopefully, I can keep it up.
Thursday, October 2nd
- 6 a.m. I woke up and turned on Howard Stern
- 7 a.m. Got out of bed and readied myself for my run (then I went on the run)
- 8 a.m. Showered, searched for jobs on the internet, phoned a specialized management recruitment firm in the South West
- 9 a.m. Called RCN and disconnected my home phone, which has not been used in well over three months, also found out that my "bundle" service was costing me about $4 more than if I simply didn't have the "bundle." I was able to upgrade my internet service and still benefit from a savings.
- 10 a.m. Emailed a few people alerting them to my current situation and met Mark for coffee at his Design Studio http://www.studioneast.com/portal/
- Between 11:30 AM and 1:00 PM Attempted to file for unemployment, text messaged some folks, ate lunch with high school kids at Jimmy Johns
- 1:00 p.m. Totally bored
- 3:20 p.m. Seriously considered day drinking
- 3:21 p.m. Talked on the phone using my diminishing Whenever Minutes so I resorted to ONLY speaking those in my Fave Five
- 3:34 p.m. Read a funny article on Sarah Palin to ready myself for the debate tonight and posted it to my facebook page
- 3:35 p.m. Drew blue eyeliner on my driver's license photo
- 3:36 p.m. In an effort to refrain from the previously mentioned notion of "Day Drinkng," substituted Vodka for strong coffee, brewed a pot and drank the whole thing
- 4:00 p.m. Had a short back & forth with Traci via IM over the reasons why I don't care to have pictures of her dogs sent to me - at all....ever....even if it is under the guise of humor
Friday, Otherwise Known as Day 2 of Unemployment
Monday... Many Days Have Passed... Much Has Happened